Monday, June 27, 2005

Vancouver week 1

WOW! It's beautiful here. It's also been a whirlwind since I arrived Saturday night. The plane ride was...warm. The A/C did not work in the beginning and we sat on the airplane for 1 hour before we moved an inch. Connection flight went smoothly especially since there was the hottest flight attendent ever on board. Also, my luggage came out first. P-Unit picked me up at the airport and we proceeded to find my place of work and we saw a room for rent I had found online earlier. It was in a nice area and 0.1 miles from GF Strong (according to Mapquest). However, it looked like crap. It was owned by some Chinese dude who lived upstairs and there were 3 other people inhabiting the basement apartment suites. My mattress was stained, the kitchen and bathroom were rusted and there was a mother of a fly in the shower stall. I think someone from the City of Vancouver needs to go check out housing codes on that one and tell the guy that he's not in China no more.

Then we went to Burnaby to see P-Unit's sister's house and eat dinner. We went to a very nice restaurant called Joey Tomato's (I think) and I ate lobster ravioli! Yum! Then we went home, looked for more housing as the previous one did not pan out and slept. The next day it took us until 3pm to get out the door because we are slow. Ok, I am slow. We went to Robson so I could sort out my Gap situation and then shopped a bit before trying to navigate to the first house appointment. The street was nowhere to be found and I called for directions, however, the guy was not there. It was 15 minutes past my appt and the guy was still not home. Well anyway, I left a msg and he never called me back. We went to the next house which was opposite of the first house we saw. Bad neighbourhood but really nice, new, clean basement apartment. I think I will sign it. Then we went to all you can eat sushi and ate until we couldn't talk anymore. We could barely breathe. Then we went to another house appt, but the guy was divorced, soft-spoken, and lived there by himself and a fiesty cat. So...let's not.

Then we went to Dragonball for some real good real fruit bubbletea and proceeded to Farah's house. I caught up with Farah last night and met her boyfriend who helped me find some more houses to call. However, I am lazy and do not want to go to all these places on a bus. So...looks like the Main Street basement apartment!

Today was my first day at GF Strong. It is a huge rehab hospital and I'm quite excited. Seating is kind of blah and so is AT (assistive tech)...but whatever, I'm in Vancouver and not in Cobourg any longer. Farah drove me there this morning and I walked home (about 30 mins). Oh, and on the way home I gave someone directions!!! WOOO GO ME! (I hope they aren't lost in the mountains right now). Tonight Farah and I are going out for dinner and perhaps Robson Street.

Some funny/weird answering machine messages:

  • "Hi, we're not home right now, but we look forward to meeting you in person."
  • (Insert Indian accent and singing voice to a made up tune)"Sorry, we're not home right now, leave a message and I'll call you later."
  • "Hi, UM, if you'd like to leave a message, you can now. If you don't, well then, you suck."

    Stuff here is so different! Stucco houses. Tall trees and huge hedges that cover an entire house's view. "Earthy" people who walk outside without their shoes. More updates later. Looking forward to having Triplets reunite (early!) and AVL.

  • 2 Comments:

    At 10:10 PM, Blogger JW said...

    I'm so glad you're having fun Jess!!

     
    At 10:11 AM, Blogger Felise Navidad said...

    hhahaha, i like the second answering machine message the best!! :)

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home