Thursday, February 16, 2006

RANDOMS!

1. Today our client happened to be an audiologist and funnily enough she brought all her hearing gadgets for our assessment. So part of our assessment was a simulated activity of her doing a hearing examination on me. She poured this blue gooey putty in my ear! First she put a spongy thing to block off the rest of my ear so the gooey stuff wouldn't go to my...brain? Anyway, so now I have an ear mold just incase I need a hearing aid anytime soon. It felt so funny in my ear and it totally blocked out any hearing in my right ear. So that was kinda random. She let me keep it. I tried taking a picture of it but it was blurry and the light reflected and all that crap so I gave up. Msg me if you want to see it next time you see me. Speaking of cameras, I can't find the CD for my webcam...Jay, do you have yours still?

2. LBJ 43 pts, 12 rebs, 11 asts...can you BELIEVE IT! Of course you can. Kev Tsang, can you hear me? A LEGEND IN THE MAKING...just call him "Air Bron".

3. Frank Gehry...anyone wanna see this exhibit with me? In addition, David Milne is also happening at the same time. Let's go!

4. Boarding at Blue Mountain on the 25th? I want a snowboard.

5. Dell Inspiron 6000. May 2005 - (July 2005) - "Present". So I bought my laptop in May 2005. Everything was fine and dandy until I went to Vancouver in July and found out it doesn't turn on everytime I want it to. It has selective action taking. The on button doesn't turn on sometimes. Sometimes it takes 30 presses, sometimes only 3. If Delly is having a good day, he'll turn on on the first press!

So as if that wasn't bad enough, soon when I shut down my computer, it took about 10 minutes and then afterwards it wouldnt even properly shut down. Instead I would get the message "FATAL OPERATION. ILLEGAL OPERATION. YOUR COMPUTER HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN". It looks like an MS-DOS screen and then I have to manually turn it off. Then awhile after that started happening, when I started my computer, it gave me a message that winlogon.exe has performed an illegal operation. Sigh.

Oh, and my computer will never turn on if it's not plugged into the wall. If I want to go somewhere to use it, I have to turn it on at home, unplug it, hope that it doesn't die before I get to where I need to go. Hope that where I need to go has an electrical outlet. And when it is unplugged from the wall for too long and the lid is closed, it will still stay on, but when you open it again, the screen won't unblacken itself. But the computer is still on. So in this case, I have to hold the power button down on Delly and manually shut it off without properly shutting down. When that is over, I press the power button again to turn it on. Good news: when I manually shut down like that without properly shutting down and I try to turn it on again it has never failed me to turn on on the first press. KNOCK ON WOOD.

Oh, Delly, what a lemon!

So I called Dell customer service and got an Indian woman who called herself Kate. That is like the most un-Indian name I've ever heard in my life. I guess that's what Puneet does when she calls the pizza delivery people. I guess it's sort of fun for Kate. Every call she can be a new person. I knew her name wasn't Kate...she sent me an e-mail and her last name was Arushnamurti or something like that. Well "Kate" told me (after 2 hours of troubleshooting) that I would have to reformat my entire computer. GRRRRREAT. Thanks a lot, Kate.

Speaking of which...should it really be allowed for companies like Dell to "outsource" to India so they can pay a poor computer engineering student who probably has her PhD in her field less than what Dell would have paid IT people in North America? I don't believe they should call it outsource. It should be more like...less developed country call re-direction so we can cut our costs in half and I'm a jerk.

You and me, Ameya. Communists for life.

My eyes are closing now.

2 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger BeBz said...

well geeeez Big J no wonder you have no time, you've got ear goop, bball whoring, broken cameras and Dell laptops probs riding your ass.

miss ya much. I haven't seen you in a whiiile. I see kingston more than I see you. so sad :(



p.s. i wanna see yer 'ear' when i see you.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Felise Navidad said...

hhaah entertaining story about your laptop and KATE. Reminds me of how whenever i called Linksys for our stupid router at our apartment, i always got filipinos, haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home