Saturday, April 16, 2005

Ahhh...

"You must never feel badly about making mistakes," explained Reason quietly, "as long as you take the trouble to learn from them. For you often learn more by being wrong for the right reasons than you do by being right for the wrong reasons."

- Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth


What a turbulent, drama-filled, self-identity-finding, precious 3 years filled with new experiences all around. Regardless of the idiotic things that have happened I am more than happy to be where I am right now. I went from being hardcore nerd/jock/extracurricular participator to idiot to...content. Princess told me the other day that I do everything in excess - gym, work, read about sports, watch basketball, msn, eat...procrastinate. I guess that's true. And I like it that way. She told me last night that if I do everything in excess then it's not really in excess - it's in moderation relative to me. Anyway, I like being busy. I like having a schedule everyday and knowing what I'm going to do. This year I got to go snowboarding for the first time (thanks MEEEEOW!), rock climbing, actually get drunk drunk (I never knew what it was before I met Scarlett and Princess, I guess), see my Vicky @ Western, went to Montreal with the girls, got good marks, partied hard, crammed hard, met awesome friends (I heart my triplets!), reconnected with old ones :), and much much more. I am so thankful for all of that. After what was probably the worst, most stressful, time-consuming, all encompassing year of my life...I am more than grateful God gave me some happiness in the recent months. Thank you to all the people I met this year, thank you to all the old people I neglected who have forgiven my absence from life, thank you to Heinekin, Elixir, Inside, Afterlife, ESPN, GoodLife, Sean May, Roy Williams, Tiger Woods, Jude Law, Dr. Anne Salter, LeBron James, Pope John Paul II, Jimmy Carter, Jacques Chirac + the French government, and Bill Clinton.

I've learned that no matter how down you are, how sad you are, how mad you are...how disappointed you are...life goes on. You pick up the pieces of what was once you, you put them back together, and in the reconstruction process, you make it even better. Never lose sight of who you are. Cherish moments for what they are and accept them for that alone. Find a brief glimmer of light in the darkest of situations. My yoga teacher told me that life was like a pendulum. When you find yourself at one extreme end of unhappiness, remember that in time, it is bound to swing to the other side. I would say I'm in the middle now...swingage is imminent.

As the year comes to a close, I would just like to say that it's been awesome. One more semester and then life begins.

I have big plans.

2 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

like totally

 
At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'M a weirdo? Right...

Anyways, funny that you used a quote from Norton Juster. Did you remember that that book is probably one of my all time favourite children's novels of all time? Do you remember going to buy it with me when I lost my old copy?! And where on earth did you find that quote? Interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home