Friday, August 05, 2005

Go back...

We shall find peace. We shall hear the angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds.
- Anton Chekhov


I know I have this quote as the header on my blog already, but I felt that it was so incredibly fitting that I had to use it as an intro to this entry.

If you've been following my blogs recently, you'll notice I'm in Vancouver. It's been an awesome time so far - truly epitomizing my self-proclaimed label of "excessive" in all areas of my life - food (& apparently drink), work, socializing, adventuring.

The past few years have been pretty...intense to say the least. I've learned a lot, I've grown a lot, and I've realized a lot (in that order). Learning is only the first step. By learning, I mean recognizing mistakes or picking up subtleties in obscure daily events. By realizing, I mean coming to a point of contentment where you can apply what you have learned in your growing phase to start making decisions.

It's been a long time. Even for me. And today, with my curious tendencies, I can say that I looked, and I'm no longer sad.

Contentment has been redefined in my eyes and I'm definitely at the realization stage, finally.

As for more concrete aspects of my life...
I've met some great people in Vancouver so far and always with the introductions I am inevitably asked what I'm doing after graduation. It's something I've given more thought to now, as I look back and realize that I don't think Medicine was ever for me. I think I would have just regretted it if I never even took my MCAT. With that chapter of my life now closed, I'm looking into something totally different from health care. I contemplated Commerce earlier, and I've since realized I don't think my interests would be satisfied. I'm thinking something more along the lines of International Development or Politics. Or Law. Something like that. It's a work in progress. I'll keep you updated.

My time in Vancouver has made me realize how much life has to offer, so to speak. There's so much I want to do before settling down to a 9-5 job. I doubt 8 more months of school is enough time. Since coming here, I think it's really brought me out of my routine, allowed me to do things I normally wouldn't think of doing (including, but not limited to, eating at a restaurant by myself and having the hostess ask me in front of the restaurant..."ALL BY YOURSELF???"), and enjoying myself for the first time in a long time.

I sound like I'm in some sort of quarter-life crisis or something.

So, with naiveté semi-squashed, (some) inhibitions set aside, smile on my face, fresh air and sun beaming down with the diamonds sparkling in the night sky...I'll end this chapter with a thank you to all my friends wherever they may be (Toronto, Vancouver, PARIS!?!?) and Tolkien:

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

4 Comments:

At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post... i like reading your entries.

-random

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger jessica said...

thanks random...
reveal yourself!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger miss.chip said...

It's beautiful isn't it?

I can't be any more happy to share and be in this moment with you.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Felise Navidad said...

Jess, I'm glad to hear that you have grown so much from your time at Vancouver and that's it's been such an enlightening experience for you! wow, eating at a restaurant by yourself? hmm i gotta try that one day!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home